Gatehouse with Eyckenlust bridge
According to the 1832 cadastral map, there were two lower hook-shaped side wings (houses) on either side of the gatehouse, which were probably…
According to the 1832 cadastral map, there were two lower hook-shaped side wings (houses) on either side of the gatehouse, which were probably demolished at the end of the 19th century and replaced by two sloping walls. The square-shaped, hand-moulded brick building has two storeys under a tent roof covered with slates and crowned by a roof rhomboid. The gateway, with a wooden clasped gate painted in yellow and blue colours, has a limestone profiled frame with corner blocks, the segmental arch of which rests on two brackets with sculpted heads. Along the eaves, a plastered round-arch frieze on corbels runs against a natural stone cornice. Above the doorway in the front wall, there is a quadrant rosette with wooden bars and the name 'EYCKENLUST'; there is also a rosette in the rear wall and a small triangular pediment with a fly-hole in the roof shield (dovecote floor). Stairs to the attic. On either side of the gatehouse, there is a sloping brick wall, closed by multi-sided brick pillars. Simple wooden bridge over the moat (XX).
The gatehouse is of general importance
- because of its age;
- because of its architectural design;
- as a marking of the entrance to the estate;
- because of the functional-spatial relationship with the other parts of the country estate.