Grave in the cemetery of Asten
Grave in the cemetery of the Roman Catholic Church of the Presentation of Mary. The grave of J.M.E. van Best, village doctor J.B. Verhoeven and L.G.M. Huysmans dates from 1914 and features Art Nouveau decorative elements.
The grave consists of a walled area approximately four metres wide and almost 2.75 metres deep. The wall has a slightly protruding plinth and is constructed from sandstone blocks. At the rear and sides, the wall is approximately 1.50 metres high and has a covering edge of decorative, profiled sandstone blocks. At the front, the wall is low. Pillars have been placed at the corners, crowned by a decorative stone with a planter. The right rear corner is bevelled and raised higher.
On the inside, a low b…
Grave in the cemetery of the Roman Catholic Church of the Presentation of Mary. The grave of J.M.E. van Best, village doctor J.B. Verhoeven and L.G.M. Huysmans dates from 1914 and features Art Nouveau decorative elements.
The grave consists of a walled area approximately four metres wide and almost 2.75 metres deep. The wall has a slightly protruding plinth and is constructed from sandstone blocks. At the rear and sides, the wall is approximately 1.50 metres high and has a covering edge of decorative, profiled sandstone blocks. At the front, the wall is low. Pillars have been placed at the corners, crowned by a decorative stone with a planter. The right rear corner is bevelled and raised higher.
On the inside, a low bench has been placed against the right wall, starting from the bevelled corner. Above it, in the corner, there is a protruding section with the inscription: DE RECHTVAARDIGE/EEUWIGE HERINNERING (The Righteous/Eternal Memory).
In the left wall, at the front, a wrought-iron gate has been installed between pillars. Against the inside of this wall, inscriptions have been made in relief in three blocks of sandstone:
– HERE REST J.M.E. VAN BEST * VALKENSWAARD 22 AUG. 1881 + ASTEN 23 NOV. 1914 AND HER HUSBAND
– J.B. VERHOEVEN DOCTOR IN ASTEN * DEVENTER 17 JUNE 1874 + 'S-BOSCH 23 NOV. 1934
– AND HIS WIFE L.G.M. HUYSMANS * WOENSEL 23 SEPT. 1881 + ASTEN 8 SEPT. 1953
The centre of the rear wall is higher and has volutes on the sides and a semicircular crown. On the inside is an inscription: REST IN PEACE/MY DEAR BETSY/LOVELY MOTHER/SLEEP WELL.
The pillars in the left front and right rear corners are covered with ivy.
The grave is of general interest because of its cultural-historical value and because of its rare design, use of materials and stylistic elements in the decoration.