Spirit

The monastery was saved from demolition by being converted into a total of 51 homes (including the surrounding new buildings). Kalliste Woning…

The monastery was saved from demolition by being converted into a total of 51 homes (including the surrounding new buildings). Kalliste Woningbouwontwikkeling from Nieuwegein won the competition for the redevelopment of the former monastery. When the construction work was completed, Kalliste donated the Spirit sculpture made by Van Leusden. The sculpture shows two sisters, but what is even more striking is the little compartment under the pedestal on which the sculpture stands. In it, signatures are kept of inhabitants of Beek en Donk who have protested strongly against the demolition of the former convent. After all, the building dates from 1895 and was designed by architect J. Heijkants. To the left, there was a school with four classrooms for older pupils. To the right, in a wing of the monastery, was a guesthouse. In September 1895, seven sisters of the Sisters of Charity from Schijndel moved into the convent. In 1922 the Sisters took over the building from the church council and in 1950 an extra side wing including a chapel was added. In 1996, the convent was officially disbanded and sold to the then town of Beek en Donk, with the idea of having the new town hall there.

Contact

Address:
Magnolia
5741 Beek en Donk
Plan your route
Distance:

Location