Café De Witte

The café dates from around 1890 and was built in the traditional craftsmanship style. The awning against the facade was added around 1925.

The one-storey building has a rectangular floor plan and is covered by a saddle roof with improved Dutch tiles. The end g…

The café dates from around 1890 and was built in the traditional craftsmanship style. The awning against the facade was added around 1925.

The one-storey building has a rectangular floor plan and is covered by a saddle roof with improved Dutch tiles. The end gables have hardstone mouldings with ridge purlins. The symmetrical street facade on the south side is built of brick, has a plastered plinth and is closed by a plastered frieze with a gutter. The façade has five window rows. In the centre of the facade, a panel door with wrought-iron grilles and a curved, split fanlight are placed in a plastered, profiled and painted frame. The flanking six-pane sliding windows also have hardstone sills and a solid, profiled frame. The wooden awning against the façade has double wooden posts that are set on a small brick wall. At the top, the awning is decorated with a continuous ajour designed wooden twill frieze. Various parts of the awning were replaced later.

The café is of general importance. It has cultural-historical importance as a special expression of a socio-economic development, namely the growth of the catering industry in the south as a result of the industrialisation around 1900. It has architectural-historical value as an example of a simple village pub. It has a special meaning because of its location, connected to the development of the village and is important in relation to the structural and visual integrity of the village environment. 

Various proprietors have served in this café. The name of the café has changed several times. Now it is called Thuis (Home) and it is run by Ton van Berlo.

Contact

Address:
Heuvelplein 6
5741JK Beek en donk
Plan your route
Distance:

Location