Zusters Hoop en Liefde

The statue commemorates the Sisters of Charity of the convent in Aarle-Rixtel. In 2010, the last sisters left Mariëngaarde and the statue was…

The statue commemorates the Sisters of Charity of the convent in Aarle-Rixtel. In 2010, the last sisters left Mariëngaarde and the statue was placed in that year at the initiative of the Festive Committee 150 years Mariëngaarde. The sisters have meant a lot for the education of girls in Aarle-Rixtel. From 1856 onwards, they founded various schools, including the Maria school, the household school and the mulo for secondary education. The then pastor Van Sambeek wanted girls' education in Aarle-Rixtel. Through his good relationship with Bishop Zwijssen, founder of the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity that aimed at stimulating education for girls, Van Sambeek succeeded. In 1856, five sisters moved into the newly built 'love house' on the Bosscheweg. Shortly afterwards, the school (the boarding school, ed.) was opened with 35 children. In 1870, there were already 73 and in 1901, 120 girls were taught there. In the meantime, the convent and boarding school had been further expanded. In the course of the 20th century, besides the boarding school and the girls' school, a kindergarten, a Mulo household school and a Mater Amabilis school were established. In the course of the sixties and seventies major changes took place. The boarding school was closed and the Mavo moved to Beek en Donk. In the 80s a new convent was built that offered space to the retired sisters.

Contact

Address:
Bosscheweg 20
5735GV Aarle-Rixtel
Plan your route
Distance:

Location