Lieshout Town Hall
The town hall of Lieshout was built on the Heuvel in 1776. Until then, the aldermen met in one of the seven inns in Lieshout. In 1771, the Sta…
The town hall of Lieshout was built on the Heuvel in 1776. Until then, the aldermen met in one of the seven inns in Lieshout. In 1771, the States-General ordered the municipality to build a town hall. In 1772 the national architect Jan Francis van de Weijer from Boxtel had completed the sketch and in 1773 he was ready with the specifications. Two years later, in 1775, Her Honour, the Lords of State of the United Netherlands, approved the construction. This year was marked on the town hall. On 1 April 1776 the public tender took place. The work had to be completed by 30 September 1776. The lowest bidder was the contractor, the Wel Edel Gestrenge Heer en Mr. Gijsbert de Jong, Lord of the Beek en Donk manor. He was awarded the construction work for 1582 guilders. On 12 March 1795, shortly after the proclamation of the Batavian Republic, the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen was solemnly read in public from the town hall steps. The town hall was demolished in 1951 to make way for a larger town hall.
5735BP Lieshout Plan your route