When the Ten Broek property was founded is unknown. The earliest indication of its existence is from 1332. The Gemert Commandery of the Teuton…
When the Ten Broek property was founded is unknown. The earliest indication of its existence is from 1332. The Gemert Commandery of the Teutonic Order had traditionally been the owner. In 1421, the Ten Broek estate was given in long lease by Commander Iwan van Cortenbach. In 1434, Goyart van Werme became the owner. He was also fief of the neighbouring property Ten Boer. In his will of 1454, Goyart bequeathed the Ten Broek property to Gemert church, together with the Ten Boer property. A number of obligations were attached to this, including to distribute to 13 poor people of Gemert on every Friday in Lent '2 barrels of white peas, 3 herrings and as much bread as a normal person may eat at one meal'. In addition, on Goyart's dying day, bread was to be distributed to all the poor present while supplies lasted (there was 1 mud of rye available). Since then, the farm was popularly called De Armenhoeve or in Gemerts: D'Ermerhoewf. Spinning (= distribution) to the poor continued until the 20th century, until the farm was sold by the church to private individuals.
The present building is a so-called corner gable farmhouse. The corner facade was created by adding an extension to the front facade in the longitudinal direction of the house. Parts of the building date back to the Middle Ages. The great height of the so-called Men's Room is striking. In a beam above the fireplace present there is the following text: 'Anno 1619 Ansem Jeghers ende Meriken sijn huysvrou'.
Previously, the farmstead was surrounded by a moat, which has since been filled in. In 1985, the detached barn was demolished. The bakery is still intact. The property is a national monument.
5421 XZ Gemert Plan your route