Muziektuin

The wish of the wind band was to have an outdoor space where concerts could be given in the summer. Unfortunately, this wish was not possible. The proper permits were not obtained. This was around 1815. 

Beek en Donk used to consist of 2 villages. The village of Beek and the village of Donk. Beek did have a kiosk. However, this was only accessible by horse and cart. Two kiosks, one in each part of the village, was financially not feasible.

In 1923, a member of the band came up with the idea of building…

The wish of the wind band was to have an outdoor space where concerts could be given in the summer. Unfortunately, this wish was not possible. The proper permits were not obtained. This was around 1815. 

Beek en Donk used to consist of 2 villages. The village of Beek and the village of Donk. Beek did have a kiosk. However, this was only accessible by horse and cart. Two kiosks, one in each part of the village, was financially not feasible.

In 1923, a member of the band came up with the idea of building a permanent kiosk. With a garden around it. The municipality did not yet agree to the plans but did buy up land from the municipality of De Jong. In the summer of 1926, many letters were sent in with plans for a music garden. The municipality did now agree. However, all these letters came from the same person. Consultation with the council resulted in a long lease on a piece of land for the music garden. They even received a subsidy for its construction, which was more than they had expected. Still in 1926 they started the construction. They started with the
groundwork. At first, a contractor was supposed to do the groundwork. Unfortunately, the contractor fell ill and, under the leadership of the chairman of the harmony, the harmony itself began the groundwork. In the winter of 1926, however, the work was halted because of the high water level. In the spring of 1927, the work was continued and in July of that year the garden was completed. 

Two wishes remained: a roof for the kiosk and an own pavilion. With the support of Herman van Thiel, who donated the foundations for the pavilion, and a lottery, the society could commission Anton van Vijfeijken to make the roof of the kiosk for the amount of fl 594,- and Frans van Vijfeijken to build the pavilion for the amount of fl 989,-.

In 1928, the last things were laid in the music garden and everything was completed. From 1928 to the present day, the music garden is used intensively. Lots of green in the music garden. In the whole of Laarbeek. Lots of flora and fauna. Birds, mammals etc. No parking spaces available. Deliberate choice so people come on foot or by bike.

Nowadays, many fun activities are organised for young and old, but also for people with disabilities. Think of activities such as walks, treasure hunts, IVN assignments. All kinds of things.

Contact

Address:
Koppelstraat 37
5741GA Beek en Donk
Plan your route
Distance:

Location