Pastor J.R.A. van Eijndhoven
The bust of pastor Van Eijndhoven was placed in 1983, in honour of the 50th anniversary of Mariahout. The inhabitants themselves collected mon…
The bust of pastor Van Eijndhoven was placed in 1983, in honour of the 50th anniversary of Mariahout. The inhabitants themselves collected money, so that the bust of one of the founders of the village could be placed. Pastor Van Eijndhoven was very passionate and did so many beautiful things for Mariahout. In 1983 he was in the organising committee for the 50th anniversary of Mariahout. As the only son of a blacksmith from Liempde, pastor van Eijndhoven came in 1932 to what was then still called 'Ginderdoor'. Under the leadership of the building pastor the church was built in just half a year. Van Eijndhoven was also the great inspiration for the construction of the Lourdes cave. The parish was called Onze Lieve Vrouwe van Lourdes, because Van Eijndhoven was a great admirer of Mary and Lourdes existed 75 years in 1933. With a church that is dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes also belongs a Lourdes grotto', the pastor once wrote. Van Eijndhoven did not only ensure the arrival of the church and the grotto. Monastery Mariënhof, the Open Air Theatre, the Neighbourhood House and the foundation of various associations in Mariahout were also his work. He took the concrete blocks for the theatre from the emergency runway of Eindhoven Airport. Until 1970 Van Eijndhoven remained pastor in 'his' village. Then he went to live at the edge of the procession park, from where he could look at Maria every day. He did not live to see the unveiling of his own statue, because Van Eijndhoven died shortly before the celebration of the 50th anniversary of Mariahout.
5738AH Mariahout Plan your route