Mansion Huize Hockers in Someren

The notary's house was built in 1886 by order of notary Hockers. The house was built according to specifications and drawings of the firm Rooijakkers from Helmond and for this purpose a public tender was held in September 1886. The carpenters Jan Meesterburrie and Jan Meeuws from Someren were allowed to build a house, they had registered the lowest, for 7795 guilders. Notary Hockers would live in the new house until 1902.

Residents and owners of the Notarishuis in Someren after Hockers. The firs…

The notary's house was built in 1886 by order of notary Hockers. The house was built according to specifications and drawings of the firm Rooijakkers from Helmond and for this purpose a public tender was held in September 1886. The carpenters Jan Meesterburrie and Jan Meeuws from Someren were allowed to build a house, they had registered the lowest, for 7795 guilders. Notary Hockers would live in the new house until 1902.

Residents and owners of the Notarishuis in Someren after Hockers. The first was WAP Kerssemakers, who became mayor of Someren on May 1, 1900. He did buy the house of notary Hockers but did not live there. Burgemeester Thijssen married Maria Anna Anderegg on January 13, 1903 in Mill en Sint Hubert. Until September 1903, both lived in the notary's house purchased by Mayor Kerssemakers. The notary house probably stood empty after 1903 until 1909 when it was bought by Hendricus Franciscus Kerssemakers from Eindhoven. In 1910/1911 the house passed to Wilhelmus L. Nouwen, porter in Weert, who sold it on in 1912 to Franciscus P. Huijsmans, without profession, living in Helmond. Neither Nouwen nor Huijsmans lived in the house as far as can be ascertained.

The property, bought by Hein Rooijmans in 1918, will remain that way until 1933/34. Then the extension takes place in the form of a bakery, shop, etc., but that extension was later demolished. In 1958 the Municipality of Someren bought the property. The reason for the purchase is that the existing spaces in the town hall are far too small and even the council chamber has to be used for all kinds of purposes. The building will be equipped for the public works, construction and housing supervision and social affairs department. When the town hall is renovated in 1963, the town council and the municipal services, except for the municipal receiver, are temporarily housed in the mansion. In 1979 this was repeated when the town hall was again ready for renovation and was also expanded considerably. In February 1979 the Municipal Executive, together with the general affairs departments, moved into.

On Saturday February 14, 1981, the council and the civil servants moved to the new/renovated town hall on Wilhelminaplein. The neighborhood spontaneously helped with the move. On Saturday October 8, 1983, the building was taken into use as a new police station. In 2009 the municipal monument will receive new residents. Peter Slegers and Jeanne van Velthoven are breathing new life into the building. Under the name Huize Hockers they started a coffee and tea shop in the old building. There was also room for various exhibitions.

The social function was paramount. Small-scale initiatives were established here, such as showing special films and lectures were given. It was a gallery for everyone. Unfortunately, this initiative came to an end in 2012. The property was bought by entrepreneur Ben Buiting, who established his pension advisory company in it. The name Huize Hockers has been retained. The building still lends itself to multiple occasions such as wedding venues or other special events.

Contact

Address:
Speelheuvelstraat 1
5711 AS Someren
Plan your route
Distance:

Location